A Southern dessert with a rich history!
🌼What is Hummingbird Cake?🌼
Kids at our Garden Party Baking Camp got to make this classic Southern dessert…
…and only 2 of them didn’t like it.😂 Ok, so maybe it isn't the most kid-friendly recipe. To really appreciate it, you have to be a fan of both carrot cake and banana bread because with Hummingbird Cake, you'll land somewhere in the middle.
You also have to be a fan of pecans! At Itty Bitty Bakers, we use only nut-free recipes so we had to omit them for our camp. But they definitely make the cake!
No one knows the exact origin of the recipe, which is common with Southern foods. Read a summary of how the mystery unfolds here.
Mini Hummingbird Bundt Cakes
Adapted from Ultimate Southern Living Cookbook, Southern Living, Jan. 1999
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3 large eggs, beaten
1 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 (8-ounce) can crushed pineapple, undrained
1 cup chopped pecans
2 cups chopped bananas
1 1/2 cups shredded coconut (optional)
1/2 cup chopped pecans (optional)
1. Combine first 5 ingredients in a large bowl; add eggs and oil, stirring until dry ingredients are moistened. (Do not beat.)
2. Stir in vanilla, pineapple, 1 cup pecans, and bananas.
3. Pour batter into greased and floured mini bundt pans.
4. Bake at 350° for 15-17 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. (The smaller the cake, the less cooking time it will need.)
5. Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes; remove from pans, and cool completely on wire racks.
6. Pipe Cream Cheese Frosting on top of cakes; sprinkling shredded coconut and remaining pecans on top, if desired.
Cream Cheese Frosting
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 (16-ounce) package powdered sugar, sifted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Beat cream cheese and butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth. Gradually add powdered sugar, beating at low speed until light and fluffy. Stir in vanilla.